My Inside Out posts are a part of a series where I review beauty foods and drinks. The rest of the series can be found here.
The tender coconut is a common fruit in tropical countries especially in the coastal regions. Here in India it is common beverage used for a variety of purposes from beating the searing summer heat and to adding flavour to cocktails and everything in between. Tender coconut water also packs a whole host of benefits in every portion consumed. Even though I’ve been drinking this stuff every now and then all my life, I am still learning/making discoveries about its benefits. So this is everything I know about it thus far…
- It has a cooling effect on the body. This property is much needed and very welcome in the tropics, where the only two types of weather we experience are hot and very hot. Its cooling properties also make it ideal to consume when on medication, especially antibiotics as it counters the heat generated by the medicine.
- It’s a detoxifying agent and regular consumption results in healthier hair and skin. That is why it comes as no surprise that very many brides to be in India take to drinking the water of one coconut every day in the run up to their wedding as a part of their beautification routine.
- The isotonic nature of coconut water also makes it a great cure/prevention for hangovers. This, I can say is by far the best solution/prevention to a hangover. The days I know I’ve gone overboard with my cocktails, I drink the water of one coconut as soon as I get home before I sleep and the next morning I wake up without the slightest trace of a hangover. On the days that a hangover sneaks up on my I drink it as soon as I wake up in the morning and half an hour later it like the hangover was never there.
- It is said to contain anti-fungal, anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties.
- Coconut water is healthier than fruit juice because it contains no carbohydrates and less sugar.
- It’s said to fight viruses and boost the immune system, and as kids if we were ever sick our Mom made sure we had the water of two coconuts everyday.
- Coconut water is a natural isotonic beverage which means that it contains all the minerals and salts present in our cells and blood. It is the natural version of Gatorade, in that it replaces all the minerals and salts that the body looses through physical activity and sweating.
The benefits of coconut water are many. That is why coconut water has replaced fruit juice in my home and there’s always some in the fridge, chilled and waiting to be gulped! I figured it tastes just as good as juice if not better and it healthier and fresher so why not?!